Minutes of the November MWA General Membership Meeting
President Rob Schraff convened the meeting at 7:35 PM.
Rob introduced First District LA City Council Member Ed Reyes. Council Member Reyes introduced José Gardea, his chief of staff. The Council Member spoke on the Broadview Solar Array Project which the MWA had voted to support at a previous general membership meeting. Subsequent to the MWA's vote of support for the project, the Council Member introduced a motion, on the floor of the LA City Council, which would delay completion of the Broadview Project and establish parameters for Council overview of all such projects in the City of Los Angeles. The Council member explained the reasons for his introduction of the motion and entertained members' questions regarding the motion.
Rob introduced Fourteenth District LA City Council Member José Huizar. Council Member Huizar thanked MWA member Carol Jacques for her work on the preservation of the David A. Siqueiros mural, "America Tropical," on the side of the Italian Hall, on Olvera Street. He reported on the progress of the 710 Freeway Project. He stated that more work than in recent years is proceeding on the repaving of local streets and added that Elyria Drive is scheduled to be repaved soon. He answered members' questions.
The Nominating Committee reported on their choices of members to serve as officers and directors in calendar year 2011. The membership voted to accept the slate and the new officers and directors were approved on a unanimous vote.
Rob introduced MWA member Carol Jacques, artist Luis Garza, and Autry National Center Executive Director Jonathan Spalding who spoke the Siqueiros Mural on Olvera Street and "Siqueiros: Censorship Defied," the current exhibition, now showing at the Autry Center. The panel responded to members' questions.
- Natalie Seaman on the MWA Holiday Food Collection
- Suzanne Siegel on the upcoming "North by Northeast" art tour sponsored by the Arroyo Arts Collective
- Jerry Schneider regarding the Dec. 11 activity in Elyria Canyon
- Fernando Orozco introduced himself as the new president of the Friends of Mt. Washington School group
- Pilar Buelna, the president of the Mt. Washington School PTA, announced that a new principal had been appointed for the school and that she would begin work on Dec. 6.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 PM.